The Caledon Grace Guest House is situated on Mill Street on the outskirts of the agricultural village of Caledon in the Overberg. Mill Street is a National Heritage site and the Bath River Bridge in the same street, is a national monument, as it used to be the entrance to the village for farmers and travellers from the Swellendam district.
Caledon is also famous for its hot springs and has attracted visitors for pleasure and health since the 1700’s. Today the town plays an important role in the agricultural community with farmlands of wheat, barley and canola that surround it.
The Caledon Grace is central to everything in this district – the quaint villages of Napier, Grayton and Stanford are only approximately 40 km away. Hermanus with its Whale Festival and the Hemel- and- Aarde valley, with its wines made from vines which are cooled by the Atlantic sea breeze, are also close by. For those who seek the excitement of lights and music, the pleasures of the Caledon Casino and Spa are also close at hand, being just 5 km away.
Caledon Grace is the residence of Gert and Martie Koegelenberg. This beautifully restored Victorian homestead is set at the foot of the Kleine Swartberg Mountains and close to the historic Caledon Spa.
It was built in 1881 by the famous town surveyor JA Kuys to be his official holiday house at the hot springs. Since then the home has been the collector of memories, love and sorrows of several families. Historically it was known as Oatlands, but has had several name changes and today it’s known as the Caledon Grace.
The venue is set on 2 hectares of landscaped garden with a beautiful roman pool guarded by old oak trees on the banks of the Bath River. Mineral rich water from the hot springs flows down the Bath River.